Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Review // Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Published - 11th October 2011
Published By - Ember (Random House)
Format - Paperback
Goodreads Sypnosis - Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?


Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is the third book that Cohn and Levithan have produced together. As a fan of their work, I can happily say that this book did not disappoint. In fact, it has now become my favourite book of all-time. The journey that Dash & Lily take in the game of dares is one of sadness, joy, friendship, love and a journey of self discovery for both Dash, Lily and the reader.


Questions are raised in this book, which I have found with most YA books, about growing up, belief and what it means to be yourself. I really connected with this book on a level that is hard to explain. 


I found my nerd senses tingling at the discussion of words, and was particularly moved (if that's the right word) by Dash's hopes to own the unabridged OED. What literary nerd doesn't want that?
I stuck post it notes all over this book referring to lines that made me think and that I felt attached to. Which, by the way, is something that is mentioned in this book! There were so many things that I loved so here's just a quick few.

I loved the relationship between Lily and Mrs Basil E. It's a similar relationship that I have with my own family and it was so refreshing to see it.  It was easy and relaxed and you could feel the carefree atmosphere through the interactions.


The reference to Nick & Norah (of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist) was lovely! I loved that the little bit they put in was there and I immediately felt safe. It was written in such a great way that even those who haven't read their previous book wouldn't feel like they missed out on something.


Last but not least, was the explanation of why Dash didn't want to give his name. It was so beautiful that I have to share this line, "I'd like to remain at that one delicate remove, so you can get to know me without the distraction of other people's noise". SO GOOD.


I could write about this book forever and keep finding new things that are simply perfect but there are too many books out there waiting to be discovered :) So I will leave you with another piece of this book, which I think not only explains Dash & Lily, but explains my reading experience of Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.


I urge you to read this book!


We are reading the story of our lives
As though we were in it,
As though we had written it.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...