Pages

Sunday 24 June 2012

Review // Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris

Published - 26th September 2006
Published By - Berkley
Format - Kindle
Goodreads Synopsis - Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Travelling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.

As a fan of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, I decided to give the Harper Connelly books a try. To cut to the chase - i'm not sure about it.


I had a lot of ups and downs whilst reading the first book in the series Grave Sight. It took me a while to get into the plot due to the lack of character development and no background history to either the characters personally or their lives in great detail. The relationship between Harper and Tolliver is never fully explained and it frustrated me a little. The book eventually picked up in the middle and I found myself excited when the action kicked off and my suspicious mind started analysing the characters for the answers I was looking for.


Unfortunately it didn't last too long. It became repetitive and rather than answering any questions it just raised more. The boring descriptions of Harper's time in motel rooms was unneccessary and I was disappointed with how the answer to the mystery was crammed into a few pages at the end when it could have been more elaborate and interesting.


That said, as a basic read, I did like it. I'm interested in seeing if Harper and Tolliver's characters are developed more and that there is a story involved regarding their sister Cameron. I think I will read the next books in the series but I won't be rushing to pick them up any time soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...