Pages

Monday 9 September 2013

Caragh Reviews - Inside Out by Maria V Snyder


Published – 1st April 2010
Publisher – Harlequin
Format – Paperback
Synopsis – I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

I first discovered Maria V Snyder a few years ago through the ‘Study’ and ‘Glass’ series’ that she wrote and I ADORED them and the writing style. Inside Out was a lucky library find and I was pretty anxious to get stuck into it, knowing how brilliantly Snyder creates her worlds.

For the first half of the book I honestly kind of struggled. The idea behind the book was incredible and really gripped me. Whenever I wasn’t reading I found myself desperately wanting to know what this world was and how Trella fit into it. Unfortunately, that was most of the time because when I was actually reading it; my interest sort of...disappeared. It felt like the story was moving too slowly considering the amount of tension that was already building up. However, I persevered due to sheer curiosity for answers and I am so SO glad that I did!

I’m not sure exactly what point it was that everything suddenly clicked for me, but somewhere along the line my brain caught on to the fact that the pacing, the excessive tension, the long drawn out moments etc, were intentional and integral to the plot. This IS Trella’s life. Once I accepted that, it was easier to see the social commentary that Snyder is providing. The class divides aren’t too dissimilar from those we have now and the prejudices against the things we don’t understand. This is why I love fantasy, science fiction and dystopia so much; to see our world reflected back at us to give a clearer understanding. By the end of the book – the big ‘reveal’ if you will, I was left open-mouthed and a little ashamed that I ever doubted the book to be honest. It’s a little out there but it’s totally believable and definitely intriguing! Can’t wait to come across the next book, Outside In.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...