Pages

Sunday 20 March 2016

Caragh Reviews // Midnight Bites by Rachel Caine (Spoilers for MV!)

Published - 1st March 2016
Publisher - Allison & Busby
Format - Paperback
Synopsis - MIDNIGHT BITES includes a total of more than 50,000 words of brand new content, which makes me very happy indeed (and I hope will also make you happy, too). From stories featuring our favorite bunny-slipper-wearing mad scientist to a mystery solved by police chief Hannah Moses, I think you'll find this is a diverse group of stories that will shine a little more light in the murkiest corners of Morganville.

Oh my gooooooooood! There are literally no words to describe how excited I was when I heard that there was going to be a collection of Morganville short stories. Morganville has been such a significant part of my life over the last *insert number* of years and I found it really hard to come to terms with it being over. BUT! My prayers were answered, at least for now. Please be aware that this review will contain spoilers for the main book series.

The majority of the stories in Midnight Bites happen simultaneously with the storylines in the MV series. Being a UK reader and a little bit of a stalker, I had actually read quite a few of them before in various places. You really do get your moneys worth with the new stories though.

Some of them take place after the events of the main series. Yep, that's right. It was SO incredibly weird reading Shane refer to Claire as his wife. I mean, of course I knew it happened but if nothing else it just makes me extremely aware that even my book friends are settling down way before i'm ready to! Haha ;)

Another of my fave things about this book, also comes with downsides. I loved the 2 stories that were in direct relation to the death of Alyssa. One came from Shane's POV and another from Eve's. I'm not too proud to say that I bawled my eyes out, reading through their emotions in that moment. It was such a catalyst for the events in Shane's life, and therefore Michael, Eve and Claire's too that as emotional as it was, it was greatly enjoyable to get some perspective on where they came from.

It was wonderful in every single way to spend time with Myrnin too! He's such a multi-dimensional character that it is always a pleasure to bare witness to what he's getting up to. This time around, there were quite a few sad moments that really show Myrnin's character in a new light and it was beautifully done. There's yet another layer added to his brilliance that will only serve as more of a reason to love and care for him.

The collection in general was everything I wished for when I knew it was happening. Rachel has done herself, her fans, and the residents of Morganville proud. I truly hope that this isn't the last time I get to review a Morganville related book!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...