Pages

Monday 31 October 2011

The Color Purple

I started reading this book a LONG time ago, but eventually it got put aside for other things. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, just because that's life sometimes. I actually enjoyed it. Well it was as enjoyable as a story it could be.

I hadn't heard anything about The Color Purple or it's author, Alice Walker other than the fact it was "worth reading". So when a friend said she had it, natural curiosity took over and I gave it a go.

The story itself is so sad and tragic. We learn about the lives of Celie and her family/friends through letters written to God, Nettie and even letters to Celie herself. It's definitely something i'm going to look up in my free time as there are a lot of comments on race, religion, culture etc that I understood at a basic level but would love to know more about it.

In hindsight, it wasn't really a book "for fun", as it was more of a challenge than that. The writing was quite hard to get through at first but then after a while it was second nature. As I said before, it took me a long time to read it and I think that actually added to the story. Celie and Nettie go a long time between letters, despite never actually talking to each other, so I guess it felt right to also have to wait to read the next letter :)

If you're interested in literature, and not just story-telling then I would definitely recommend this book, but it's not light-hearted reading and leaves you with a lot to think about.

Currently Reading: An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
Books Read In 2011: 44

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...