Pages

Thursday 23 February 2012

Review // The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called The Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.
When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

This isn't the cover of my version.
I barely know where to start with this review, hence why it has taken a while to put it up here.
The Hunger Games has changed my way of reading. I've always enjoyed reading YA and Dystopian novels but believe it or not, this is one of the first YA Dystopian books I have read and putting my experience into words is going to be difficult.

As a person who reads a lot of books consecutively, it is difficult for me to really get attached to a book. I move on from one book to the next so fast that the love I hold for a particular character is immediately cast aside. The Hunger Games was different though. After every couple of chapters I had to put the book down to seriously think about what was happening and to keep my emotions in check. I was genuinely terrified for Katniss, Peeta and Rue and also everyone back in District 12. I was holding on to the bed, anxious to know what was going to happen next! It's been a long time since a book made me feel that way.

The only downside I have of The Hunger Games is what happens in the caves. (No spoilers!) The rest of the book was filled with excitement and an uncertainty and then it dulled too much. I realise that for the ending to fully work, there needed to be a respite of sorts but this was too much. I didn't like the way that the book became focused on relationships, love and emotion. It just didn't feel right and was a little uncomfortable. It didn't effect the overall story though so that's all I will say!

I wish that more people had read this book and I can't wait to see the film production next month :)

Goodreads Challenge 10/50
Chick Lit Challenge 0/5
Debut Author Challenge 2/5
Dystopian Challenge 2/5
Paranormal Fantasy Challenge 2/5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...