Pages

Saturday 4 February 2012

Review // Shimmer - Alyson Noel

Riley Bloom is starting to get to grips with being dead. OK, so she'll never turn thirteen, but she can manifest anything she desires. And, after her first success as a Soul Catcher, she's finally got her 'glow' on. Then she meets Rebecca - a furious ghost who is trapped on Earth, desperate to seek revenge for her own death - and Riley's determined to help her, even if it means defying her cute-but-annoying guide, Bodhi, and breaking all the rules...


Shimmer, is the second book in the Riley Bloom series [a sort of spin off of the Immortals series].
The first book, Radiance, wasn't really one of the best books i'd read but as a book lover with slight OCD, I feel obliged to continue the rest of the series anyway (sometimes they get better and become great!)

The first few chapters of Shimmer just didn't interest me at all. It's sad really because whilst reading the Immortals, I *loved* Riley and wanted to know more about her, but this series just doesn't hook me at all. I kept reading though and surprisingly, it got better!

It still isn't brilliant by any standards but a little after the half way point, I actually started caring about what was happening. Shimmer seemed to be full of moral questioning and whilst I usually don't like that, it worked here. The next book in the series, Dreamland, is out now and of course i'll be reading it and hopefully I stay interested in Riley, Bodhi and Buttercup but for me, the Riley Bloom books are nothing in comparison to the ones about Ever.
 
Goodreads Challenge 7/50
Chick Lit Challenge 0/5
Debut Author Challenge 0/5
Dystopian Challenge 0/5
Paranormal Fantasy Challenge 1/5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...