Pages

Sunday 6 May 2012

Review // Insurgent - Veronica Roth (Divergent #2)

Published - 1st May 2012
Published By - HarperTeen
Format - Kindle
Goodreads Sypnosis - One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Insurgent is the second installment to Veronica Roth's dystopian series Divergent. Almost every sequel to a book brings with it copious amounts of expectations and even more criticism. Luckily, I escaped the hype of Insurgent and only had my own expectations to fulfil.


The five factions, Abnegation, Candor, Amity, Erudite and Dauntless are all coping with the events that unfolded in Divergent, and they all have their own ways of doing so. We follow Tris on her quest for truth in this book and encounter all of her adventures too. It isn't often that I find a book where I feel like one of the characters myself. Insurgent was not just another dystopian fiction book for me, it became my world for the two days in which I was reading.


The book was beautifully written and there is honestly not a single sentence, paragraph, page or chapter in which I wasn't captivated by what was happening. There are so many revelations in Insurgent that it was an emotional rollercoaster for the reader as well as the characters in the book. If, like me, you were hoping for more Tris and Four action then you will not be disappointed. However, I must warn you that the trials and tribulations the lovestruck couple experience in Insurgent is not always fun. I will let you find out yourself if their relationship survives this book...!


The end of Insurgent had me shouting from my seat! Naturally, as the middle book of a trilogy, it ends on a cliffhanger. This put me off a little as I'm an impatient reader and like to get down to business and complete an adventure. However, it does its job and I am officially part of the Divergent Nation and eagerly await the release of the next book to find out just what is going to happen to the world of Beatrice Prior.

2 comments:

Canada said...

I do really like the characters in this series. Tris is so strong and so determined, but she's still a 16-year-old girl who has just lost both of her parents and saw a lot of hard to process events. INSURGENT is about her trying to find her strength again, and who she wants to be as a Divergent, and what's really important to her integrity, and how to deal with everything that happened to her in the first book, and she does it all with a determinedness that matches and meshes her three factions qualities together, making her stronger in the end. I really like the relationship between Tris and Four and the way they look out for and support each other, but there are some struggles for each of them to be true to the other. That doesn't mean it's easy though because there is quite a bit going on. Tris has a lot of focus on their relationship as it factors into all of the decisions she makes, but when you've lost everything else, you have to worry about holding on to one thing that can keep you together and it makes sense for her to want to have some constant in her life, but to be worried about being able to trust herself with all the deception going on around her. I care about these characters, and I really want things to work out for Tris and Tobias, and I want them to figure things out because they seem so made for each other - they're so brave on their own, but they still really need each other, and I appreciate the strength they find in each other. Some of the secondary characters really stepped into the spotlight more in this book too, along with some new characters, and I really enjoyed that and getting to know them better; although, their actions weren't always what I expected. It's really hard in this book to know who or what to trust, even from characters we thought we knew - and they don't all stay consistent throughout - adding to the intensity of the book.

Loaded Shelves said...

I love and completely agree with your views! I particularly liked that we got to explore more characters in Insurgent rather than just Tris and Four.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...