Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Review // Demon Thief - Darren Shan

Published - 1st June 2006
Published By - HarperCollins
Format - Paperback 
Goodreads Synopsis - Kernel Fleck has always known he's weird. He sees lights. Strange, multi-colored patches of light, swirling through the air. But it's not until a window opens into a demon world, with horrific consequences, that Kernel discovers his powers. As a Disciple, his mission is to hunt vicious, powerful demons to the death...

Demon Thief is the second book in Darren Shan's 'Demonata' series. I read Lord Loss a while ago but I was looking forward to getting stuck into the next book. Some spoilers may occur as it's part of a series.


First, my personal opinions. I was disappointed to find out that the main character of Lord Loss was not featured in Demon Thief. I was expecting the series to follow successively and to follow a story told by Grubbs. It took a long time for me to get into the story because of this and so my views on the book may be skewed slightly.

I found the plot to be obvious and just by the title I could guess what was going to happen but there were parts that surprised me. Shan's writing style is still interesting to me and he immediately makes me feel like i'm part of the character's lives, even if I don't particularly want to be. The first half of the book felt a little drawn out, whereas the second half was much better and I wanted to know more about the other characters in the book. Like with Lord Loss, I found myself more interested in the 'background' characters than the one at the forefront of the book.


For me, Demon Thief really started getting interesting when Dervish appeared. Finally, I had found the link to Lord Loss that I was hoping for all along and it didn't end there. I'm glad that I learned about the changing narrators in the Demonata series early on so that I know what to expect from the rest of the books. As always with Shan, I find myself enjoying the story much more now it's finished and I have a full picture than when I was working my way through it. The next book, Slawter, is on my to-read list and I will review it as soon as i'm done!



2 comments:

Strange-buzz said...

I really liked the insight that Demon Theif gives into Dervish Because although he is in Lord Loss he seems somewhat distant.

Loaded Shelves said...

Learning more about Dervish was awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...