Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Brianna Reviews - Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs

Published - 7th July 2011
Publisher - Arrow Books
Format - Paperback
Synopsis - A nine-year old girl dies on her way to ballet class, caught in outlaw biker crossfire. Violence is spilling on to the streets of Montreal and Dr Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist for the state, has to pick up the pieces.She knows she shouldn't let emotion get in the way of her role as scientist, but when nine-year-old Emily's body is wheeled into the morgue she cannot help but react. Tempe's nephew, Kit, is mesmerised by motorcycles. Does he understand the dangers posed by the outlaw gangs? An exhumation uncovers the bones of another innocent, hidden in a clandestine grave close to a biker headquarters. With her boss in the hospital and her sparring partner Andrew Ryan disturbingly unavailable, Tempe begins a perilous investigation into a lawless underworld of organised crime.

Deadly Decisions is the third Temperance Brennan book. This book was the turning point of the series for me. If this book failed to impress then I wasn't going to read any further through the series as I wasn't really sure if I liked the book or just liked the TV series.

So after the last book, Temperance and Andy seem to be getting on and Temperance is finally being nice to him. leading on from Death Du Jour, not only is Temperance being nice to Andy but there is also a hangover from the last case. Upon finding a young girl in the morgue, Temperance can't let another child lie dead and vows to put a stop to the gang wars that are going on. predictably she inserts herself into the investigation.

This book saved the series (isn't saving me money though!). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and this time around i'm sure it is the book that I enjoyed and not it's link to the TV series. Deadly Decisions seemed a little more fast paced than the first two. although it was still a little heavy in the description side in places; three and a half pages on blood splatter is interesting but it would be more interesting if it was explained while explaining what the reader and Temperance wanted to know.

Again, there was just not enough of Andy Ryan in this book and I don't like the way things were left with him - I just can't cope with the suspense of not knowing that's happening with him! And yet again, Temperance's decisions baffle me. And why does she deliberately put herself in danger and not inform any of the many cops that she is 'friends' with?! Lastly, just how many family members can she get mixed up in cases before they all start avoiding her like the plague?

I know after all of these negative thoughts it seems like I didn't like the book but I did, I really did and I gave it 5 stars. I can't wait to read the next one!!
P.S. What happens to Ryan?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...