Pages

Friday 6 December 2013

Caragh Reviews - Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Published - 22nd October 2013
Publisher - Harper Collins
Format - Kindle
Synopsis - The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.  But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Allegiant is the third and final installment of Veronica Roth’s Divergent Trilogy. I had been so ridiculously excited for this book to come out as it was definitely setting up to be one of my favourite series of all time. Divergent gripped me instantly and despite the negative reaction that some people had towards Insurgent, I actually liked it more than the first. It was an incredible sequel and didn’t suffer as a middle book at all. Which is why I am finding it so difficult to rate and actually form my thoughts on Allegiant because I just...eh. 
 
I felt that the pacing of Allegiant was so slow and that for the longest time nothing was happening. Of course that isn’t true, lots of things are happening but I just didn’t feel anything. I wasn’t filled with anticipation or excitement for anything which was disappointing because this was it... the moment when everything was going to be explained. On that note though I should say how impressed I was with the explanation of why this world is the way it is. The science and psychology of Divergent was something I did enjoy, even if it was given in what I felt was a rushed and unemotional kind of way. I won’t spoiler anything, but I definitely would have liked to have known more about the genes and experiments in other cities. There was so much more that could have been done with this and it was basically ignored so that we could focus on Four and Tris’ emotions both individually and towards each other. 

I wish I could say differently, but I had huge issues with Tris’ whole character in Allegiant. She just didn’t feel like the badass, strong woman that I had come to know. Obviously since Divergent, a lot of factors have to be taken into consideration and that is bound to change Tris but I felt like she spent most of the time being over-emotional and under-active. Her thoughts didn’t seem to match her actions at all, particularly regarding Caleb. Characterisation in Allegiant was a bit of a problem over all for me. I didn’t connect with any of the characters (including Tris and Four) and that is probably why I didn’t connect to the book itself. Everyone was distant and that could be explained away if Allegiant was plot-heavy but it was lacking there too as I said before.

I am on the team that believes the ending was unnecessary but even then it just wasn’t as emotional as it should have been. This huge, series-changing event happens and the only thing that made me cry was Four. In general though it felt like it was passed over so that Roth didn’t really have to try and recreate the emotions that were needed if she was to go in depth. I did like the epilogue, where we saw what was happening in the world after things had settled down though. 

This was a bit of a negative review and I’m sorry for that! It wasn’t a bad book, despite everything I said and it was at least a 3 star but I’m not sure I could give it more than that. It was a good story; it was just disappointing as a series finale and I think perhaps that my expectations and my own ideas for where this series was going just weren’t matched at all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...