Pages

Thursday 17 December 2015

My Essential Winter Reading Items


It's almost here! Christmaaaaas! I am getting so incredibly excited for The Big Day that I can barely hold it in. Trying to concentrate on reading with all of the twinkles and distractions of Christmas is really difficult for me sometimes. Although I don't have any tips on how to stay productive over the festive period, I have compiled a small list of things that are essential to my winter reading time!

1. Tea, Coffee and Hot Chocolates

...Or pretty much any hot beverage. I have to admit that when it comes to hot beverages - i'm not all that fussy. I love tea and coffee an equal amount and can drink both all day long, especially in winter! But my personal favourite drink when curling up with a book over the festive period is a steaming mug of hot chocolate (Maltesers if I get to choose!) topped with a HUGE amount of whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon on top. It's festive, warming and really sets the tone of an evening.
 
2. Index notes, sticky notes and the most festive bookmark you can find

Going back to getting distracted over Christmas, these things are a LIFESAVER. Of course, being a stationary-obsessed crazy person, I've always got these to hand anyway to highlight passages or make notes/save a quote etc but over Christmas they are absolutely essential. If you're easily distracted like me, these can keep you on track for reviews, remind you of what's going on and...well...the bookmark is mostly for fun. I have a growing bookmark collection and never turn down a reason to use a new one ;)

3. Snacks 

Snacks. ALL OF THE SNACKS! I think it's safe to say that one of the best things about Christmas is all of the calorific food that seems to be everywhere. I love to bake and the different smells throughout the house is exciting. It's just so cosy relaxing with a book and snacking on homemade cinnamon & sugar cookies. Perhaps a slice or two of cake. Maybe a mince pie. You know what i'm talking about....
 
4. Blankets

Pretty self explanatory really. Winter is COLD! I also happen to live on the coast of the very wet, very rainy north of Wales. It's great for us readers, as from October onwards all activities must be indoor ones! In Winter, blankets become my best friends. I have SO many now and it's never enough. Soft, fluffy blankets are always great for snuggling with, rolling up as impromptu pillows etc. It also means I can embrace my inner child as they're Spider-Man, Doctor Who and maybe more embarassingly, Dora The Explorer. It's a long story.

5. Twitter

Okay you'll have to forgive me for this one but I absolutely believe it belongs on this list. We all love reading, we all love sharing our joy about books and i've found no better place for doing that than Twitter. It's so wonderful to connect directly with other readers, authors and publishers and share the love. We live in a wonderful age where we truly have the pleasure of taking advantage of being able to speak to the people who create these wonderful worlds that transport us. You can also connect with me if you wish!  
@cazzimon

Let me know what you can't live without over the Winter/Christmas/Holiday period!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Socks. Seriously my feet hate the cold. I have to have socks or I can't concentrate on anything! Ha ha!

Loaded Shelves said...

Ohmygod yes! I don't know how I forgot to include this. Big and fluffy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...