Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2016

Caragh Reviews // The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher

Published - 18th June 2015
Publisher - Katherine Tegan Books
Format - Paperback
Synopsis - When Ana Watson's brother ditches a high school trip to run wild at Washingcon, type-A Ana knows that she must find him or risk her last shot at freedom from her extra-controlling parents.
In her desperation, she's forced to enlist the last person she'd ever want to spend time with—slacker Zak Duquette—to help find her brother before morning comes.
But over the course of the night, while being chased by hordes of costumed Vikings and zombies, Ana and Zak begin to open up to each other. Soon, what starts as the most insane nerdfighter manhunt transforms into so much more. . . .

I got this book for Christmas from my boyfriend and he did a great job picking it out. Not only is it perfect post-Christmas reading material (conventions, nerdy references, quick and easy reading) but it's also been compared to Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist which is one of my all-time favourite books.

When I say there are nerdy references, I really mean that! At least very couple of pages there's a joke or reference to something and I couldn't help but laugh. There's just something comforting about understanding and connecting with a book on such a simple level. As my first book of the new year, it put me in the mood for reading, which is always good! The writing was really simple and I flew through the entire book within a couple of hours which doesn't happen too often these days. 

The characters themselves weren't entirely relatable to me as i'm not particularly an academic type of nerd like Ana (at least anymore) and i'm way too socially awkward to be like Zak. Though as a fan of conventions and all things sci-fi-/fantasy etc, I was still able to get excited about the contents of the book. I can also definitely see younger readers fitting themselves in nicely with Ana and Zak and their personalities etc. 

There wasn't a whole lot of action until the end of the book but I didn't feel like that made the book suffer at all. It was enjoyable just to experience Ana and Zak's relationship and Ana's experiences outside of her comfort zone. I think I rated this 3 stars on GR and that's pretty fair. I didn't 'get' a lot from reading it but it was fun and cute for sure. This would make a great book to read whilst travelling as you could probably jump in and out of it as needed or a cute summer fun read!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...