Pages

Sunday 4 December 2016

Hello October // Brianna Reviews - Hidden by Benedict Jacka

Published: 2nd October 2014
Publisher: Orbit
Format: Paperback
Synopsis: Alex Verus is a diviner who can see probable futures - a talent that's gotten him and his friends out of many a tough scrape. But what happens when someone doesn't want Alex's help?

Alex's friend, the life mage Anne, distanced herself from him when she found out about his past as a Dark apprentice. Now she's in serious trouble, but wants nothing to do with him. Alex has to start wondering if Anne's problem is really with him - or if there's a secret she's trying to hide.

On top of that, rumours are swirling around London that Alex's former master may be back in town. Alex has no idea what his agenda may be, or who it involves . .





I spent a lot of this book mad with a lot of people: Anne, Sonder, Talisid, Caldera.  
 
Anne because she refuses to let Alex be human, maybe he made a mistake or a promise he knew I couldn’t garintee keeping but like I’ve said before Alex has never professed to be a saint she knew who and what he was. I’ve always suspected that her judgement of Alex and her reluctance to fight had something to do with her time with Sagash, which we find out in this book is entirely down to that, and I understand why she struggles with what Alex did and with what she did in her past, but that more than anything to me means she should get over it and forgive him.

Oh I really hated Sonder in this book and I fear he has crossed lines that he won’t be able to come back from I’m not sure Alex or Luna will be able to reconcile the differences between then and Sonder. Even if he turned out to be right, he put Anne at risk more than once; once with his attitude towards Alex and again when he lied to everyone. I don’t think Alex can forgive that. Although Caldera shares some of the blame on the lying front, if she had been willing to help regardless of if there was a link to crystal or not.

I’ve always liked Talisid and trusted him, but maybe I shouldn’t have, I don’t like that he deliberately targeted Alex to get to Richard. Never mind Alex, I feel betrayed. I wonder though if Alex will change his mind and help him… especially if Richard isn’t going to take no for an answer.

On a less irritating note… Alex has parents! Yeah okay so it was obvious he had parents but they got a mention, in fact we even meet his dad, and it is obvious that magic isn’t inherited. And I’m not the only one surprised Luna seemed just as surprised.

While on the subject of pasts I’m also glad that we got an insight into Anne’s mainly so I could answer all the ‘why is she like that?’ questions. I also weirdly like ‘evil’ Anne and was she coming on to Alex?? Is that something that is going to happen in the future?

You would think that I would have more to say about Anne and about this book in general but I don’t (other than what I’ve covered) the only real thoughts I had when I finished reading were: 

What is coming with Richard? Because I think Hidden is gearing us up to something big with Richard.

And secondly…
If Alex doesn’t want a pet Blink Fox I will happily adopt it. I really, really want a Blink Fox I’ll have none of that ‘they are fictional’ crap, where do I get one? Although maybe it’s just as well that I can’t have one – I can see the down sides of having an intelligent pet that can teleport.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...